In 2009 an intrepid chef took up a shovel and started digging. Six years later we have over an acre filled to the brim with vegetables, flowers, herbs, fruit trees, bees, and chickens.
Since its inception, the garden has aimed to create a model of sustainability that is beneficial to both the environment and the business. By growing food onsite and returning our own compost waste to our soil, we are ‘closing the loop’ as much as possible. We aspire to:
• Organically grow delicious and healthy produce for the Doe Bay Café year-round.
• Build and maintain soil fertility and health with our café compost program, cover cropping, and use of organic soil amendments.
• Source our seed ethically and save our own seed as often as we can.
• Serve as a welcoming, relaxing space for resort guests, staff, and the local community.
• Serve as a hands on learning center for our wonderful WWOOFers
Look for us at the Saturday farmers market in Eastsound and come visit us in the garden!
Kevin Rainier Hickenbottom
Doe Bay Resort and Retreat